Well I stated on the 11th that I was trying to ensure I painted at least 15 mins each day to keep on top of things and so far so good, I may not have quite hit 15 mins every day, but there has been at least 10 mins. Tonight I’ve even managed nearly an hour as Izzy is fast asleep for a change and not on me!
I’ve managed to build the 38t, construct the T-34 and primer and start work on some Roman republican Hastati in 10mm as well as almost finishing the warhammer Giant. The ancients have been a bit of fun as not only am I trying out 10mm, I also wanted to take the opportunity to break away from my reliance on citadel primer. Based on some lead adventure suggestions I popped down to Halfords to get a couple of cans of grey and white primer and I am so far mightily impressed with them. Usually I use black as that’s how I’ve always done it and I have painful memories of painting in my teens with white and never seeming to be able to get it all painted over. Times have moved on though and my skills one hopes have improved so I felt it was time to try a lighter colour which is more important for such small minis. After priming a selection in white and some in grey, I’ve found that grey gives me a much more contrasted surface to paint with and just feels so much nicer. It takes some metals without the need for a black base and doesn’t stick out too harshly if missed in a gap. I’ll save the white for another project I have in the works.
Grey Primed 10mm Ancients
White Primed 10mm Ancients
I’ve managed to get a bit of time in over the last two days, so here is progress.
Currently forcing myself to do at least fifteen minutes painting every day to ensure i keep things moving. So here’s a pic of the giant do far.
We had our first game tonight and it was a rather entertaining jaunt. It was up against Scotland yard, and we played the catch the pigeon scenario which Lord Curr managed to win it, even though the company was down to 3 men by the end! (from 9) It was pure luck that the pigeon sauntered 8″ towards my company in its first movement, and I legged it off the board with it in my 3rd turn.
I found it very difficult to hit any of the incoming scotland yard in the first few turns, due to running/moving penalties and a lot of hard cover, so I rather rashly decided after I had nabbed the pigeon to run headlong into combat. Which if anyone’s read the stats of the two companies, that is not going to favour curr in any way whatsoever! My only saving grace was Mohan Singh, who annihilated the consulting detective with his +6 FV, a satisfying victory as I had been targeting him with shooting to no avail.
I look forward to a rematch, although I don’t know what I’ll be up against next time as it was entirely a proxy match on Andy’s behalf.
Well, it’s the final day’s painting, and I’m happy to say challenge complete. At least in my arbitrary definition of what’s complete anyway! There is still work to do on the highlights, mainly for Lord Curr himself and Felicity, but the majority of the work is now done and they are most definitely tabletop ready. I need to decide if I want to add eye’s to the minis yet – I’m edging towards not because they’ll inevitably look crap and googly eyed.
I’ve had a great time painting these figures, and I’ve learnt a lot in the process having rarely painted living human’s before, let alone an indian. I used the nice tutorial at a Anatoli’s to give me an idea on how to do it and I’m pretty happy with it, though I could probably bring it up a touch lighter.
As per usual, my clean up process needs more work and MUCH more patience. There was quite a lot of clean-up I missed on the minis, and there are mould lines through some of the more prominent places on the figures which drives me insane, yet somehow I never manage to get it right.
I’ll post some final pictures in a few day’s once I’ve finalised the miniatures.
A quick one tonight just to log progress. Finished base coating all figures tonight and started on the washes. I decided gold for the arc weapons was ugly as hell, so went for a brass colour instead, looks much better and I have a newer paint in that shade so it flowed better. I should hopefully get an hour before work tomorrow and some time at lunch to finish off the washes, which leaves me with tomorrow night to get the highlights done – of which I’ll start on the unwashed colours such as Singh’s Skin and Felicity’s coat/skirt.
I don’t think I’m going to be 100% finished on the painting for the game Tuesday night, but they will definitely be table worthy, so I’ll count that as mission complete.
Well I’ve not given in yet, that’s good news. Although I did feel rather unwell at one point tonight so had to have a lie down, thankfully I rallied and continued the painting. I’d been ignoring the main characters for the last two nights as I wanted to get a feel for how the colours I was using were working on the incorrigibles, but tonight I’ve managed to lay down base coats on all the main characters. Singh still has some work to do, and the gun on Curr needs painting too but I’ve been having problems with my gold paint having dried up, so its not going down very well and I don’t want to ruin his gun.
Something I’ve started using as of last night, that I have never tried before is a wet palette. I wasn’t entirely sure it would give me any benefit, but after trying it now I’ve found it to be a tremendous help as my paints stay wet for much *much* longer and it means switching between colours is so much easier. Youtube has a tonne of videos on how to make them.
Day 3 Progress