What a dreadful title.
But fitting, because I’ve been making some Infinity terrain for Andy over the past few months. There were two batches of terrain made, with the first set being some silos of various shapes and sizes. The flat ones were made out of a pringles tin, and the tall water silo was made out of foamcore.
I found the process quite educational because unlike fantasy terrain, sci-fi tends to be much more straight edges and flat surfaces. This made painting them more difficult because I had no patterns/texture to pick the detail out of on the flat surfaces. Annoyingly I appear to have not taken a final image of all of these pieces, so you’ll have to guess on some of them!
The second batch of terrain I made was from yoghurt pots, this was just a collection of small silos. I splashed out on some car repair mesh for the platform, and edged this with PVA glue, which gives a nice impression of it being welded on (and the added benefit of hiding the skin serating edges).
Glued to some MDF and base built up with DAS modelling clay.
So dampf released the second book in his building wargames series and i promptly purchased it as quickly as feasible. I even requested if possible to get signed copy #19 so i had a matching set and dampf kindly obliged, such a nice chap!
Inspired by the book, I decided to have a go at one of the simpler projects and started to build myself a small shed. Hopefully it’ll be useful in most of the games I play so I’m going to avoid any period specific things on it. As a nice touch, I decided to build the initial block of the building out of the packaging the book had arrived in.
The initial terrain has now been completed for Andy, I did a few more pieces of bocage as I got the go ahead after the sample piece. I’ve learnt quite a few things with this project that I thought I’d summarize here.
- I need to do more things in bulk to speed the work up. I cut out some a few pieces of MDF and worked on them, then later on cut out more – it would make more sense to do each stage all at once.
- I really need to remember to put a coat of paint on before the sand, so I don’t have white DAS clay showing through when I paint the base coat on – no matter what I do i always end up with tiny white speckles where the paint/brush just won’t go!
- A tiny touch of washing up liquid in the paint used on the bases is a tremendous help to coverage, it means I can paint the rough sand much quicker.
- MDF warps, it’s a real pain when doing terrain pieces as they don’t sit flush, I imagine plasticard would do the job better but as yet I’ve not found a decent supply of free plasticard. I’m not yet prepared to pay the retail prices of plasticard just for terrain bases.
- I’m really pleased with the way the bocage looks, but it’s really heavy due to the fact the entire mound is DAS modelling clay. I think any future Bocage needs to have some packing material to bulk the majority of it out, this should also help to reduce warping. I was going to use some bass wood but again its rather pricey for something to be hidden under the terrain. Offcuts of scrap wood should do it though.
Something else I was considering while doing this terrain was whether I should try and sell some on ebay to make a few quid. Problem seems to be though that they sell pretty cheaply and by the time you cut out paypal/ebay/materials costs, you’re talking a couple of quid per piece, which only makes it worthwhile if you can produce the volume and get the demand. I think I’ll just continue to offer my services on the basis of
The work is now done on the original commission for Andy, and here’s the final finished field. This one is my corrugated cardboard ploughed field and I can’t decide which one I prefer. I think I like the wall on this one, but prefer the ploughing of the other field which used filler to create the ruts.
I’ve also been testing out some bocage even though Andy hasn’t requested this, I quite like the look of it at least as a high hedge/fence. Enjoy.
So I’m nearing the end of the batch of terrain that Andy has asked for, so I thought I’d put a few pieces up on the blog.
Real life has been a little busy of late, so posting to the blog has had to take a little bit of a backseat. I’ve been chipping away at the terrain for Andy though and have a good number of pieces for him so far. I’m considering seeing if i can sell some on ebay to raise a few wargaming funds, but not sure the margins are good enough.
We had a game of CoC last night playing attack/defence. I had to post this picture of my dice roll to wound his vickers HMG, Andy was not best pleased. Sadly the joy was shortlived as that was my last decent roll and Andy started getting all the 6’s. Note cup of tea in hand, a true wargamers sustenance. The ploughed field on the left is one of my new pieces.