So I’ve wanted T’Zolkin for over a year now, infact it was on my possible purchase list when we went to the UK Game Expo in 2013. So after triples 2014, when I had a little bit of budget left I decided to splurge out and buy it. Now, nearly 7 months later, I still haven’t played it… but I am finally ready to play it.
Because the centre of the disc required a sticker, I cut out a piece of plasticard to fit size, hand-painted the face on and stuck it down with double-sided tape. Not a huge fan of it, it looks amateurish, but I figure I can replace it at a later date if i wish.
Painting has been intermittent over the last couple of weeks, but there was a good reason for that, the arrival of my new baby girl. No pics sorry, this is a blog for miniatures and although she is one, unless she gets a coat of paint she won’t be appearing on here.
What progress I have made has been mainly on the warhammer giant I’ve had for over a year now (useful having a blog to check things!), I’m really enjoying painting this at the moment as I’m breaking from my usual style of base coating everything and then highlighting in turn. I’ve done a large portion of the base coats but I’m spending more time getting shading/highlights in on a specific section before moving on. I’m finding it easier to break up the large model and because its largely patchwork it’s an easy one to break up. I just need to overcome my constant fear of accidentaly painting over a shaded/highlighted area while I’m carelessly base coating another!
Tank wise the Panzer III is now pretty much done, I’m just waiting on the arrival of some decals from warlord to add the finishing touches to it. I went with dunkelgrau in the end as I prefer painting it and the tank was used heavily in both early and mid war so I should be fine with that from a historical point of view.
Marines wise I think I’m there on my colour choice, I’ve finalised the bases paint wise at least, I just need to work out what vegetation etc is going on it. Someone suggested fish tank plants for jungle leaves but I’ve yet to find any I like or that feel the right scale. I might have to pop to a craft store to see about fabric plants.
I currently have 20 skeletons in my Vampire Counts army, but as I usually run them in rows of 6, I was generally subbing them with some of my many zombies. Cue a box of 10 extras to let me run 2 more full rows 😀 Finished these tonight, so the backlog is reducing ever so slightly..
We had our first game tonight and it was a rather entertaining jaunt. It was up against Scotland yard, and we played the catch the pigeon scenario which Lord Curr managed to win it, even though the company was down to 3 men by the end! (from 9) It was pure luck that the pigeon sauntered 8″ towards my company in its first movement, and I legged it off the board with it in my 3rd turn.
I found it very difficult to hit any of the incoming scotland yard in the first few turns, due to running/moving penalties and a lot of hard cover, so I rather rashly decided after I had nabbed the pigeon to run headlong into combat. Which if anyone’s read the stats of the two companies, that is not going to favour curr in any way whatsoever! My only saving grace was Mohan Singh, who annihilated the consulting detective with his +6 FV, a satisfying victory as I had been targeting him with shooting to no avail.
I look forward to a rematch, although I don’t know what I’ll be up against next time as it was entirely a proxy match on Andy’s behalf.
I put up a page last night linking to pictures of my Orcs & Goblins army. I did get a little painting done, but nothing much so no piccies from last night.